Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Death Of A Pumpkin Patch


This is what my pumpkin patch looked like soon after planting our starts. Beautiful! Soon it was taking over the yard and their were close to 50 pumpkins. I was so excited. You see, both of my children were born in October, my oldest on Halloween, so pumpkins are an important part of our lives in the fall. I love carving them, and there's nothing like pumpkin pie made from scratch!

But, alas! No pumpkins to be had. I walked out a few days ago to find one of the vines severed at the base. The next day, another vine severed. I couldn't, for the life of me figure out what was doing it! Slugs? But why would they just sever the vine? They usually head for the blossoms and leaves. Can't be slugs. Gophers? Maybe. I know we have Moles, which aren't the problem. They eat grubs and insects. Voles? That's possible. We have tons of those. Rabbits? I've seen them across town, but none here. I just don't know. I haven't figured it out, and today I discovered the last vine severed, and it had a huge pumpkin on it. I'm heart broken. I guess the great pumpkin will not be visiting us this year.

It will be another trip to the real pumpkin patch again this year. I'll be asking them for some pointers on how to keep my plants from being destroyed. And next year I'll be guarding my pumpkin patch like a sheep dog guards his sheep!


Digg!

No comments: